Philanthropy & Innovation at Model Foundation
Philanthropy in Motion and Yale Center Beijing are joining forces to offer Model Foundation - an international summer program on venture philanthropy and social innovation for high-potential young leaders.
Elevate your professional and social impact skills to the next level. Through online and offline training, develop the leadership capacity to drive meaningful innovation and master skills in design thinking, pitching investment proposals, negotiation and more.
What you gain
- Social networks: Gain access to high-level leaders, cutting-edge social enterprises, and a community of changemakers
- Training and career mentorship:receive guidance on developing a career in social impact and innovation while gaining hands-on experience
- Social Impact Certificate:Receive a certificate of your social impact training and outcomes
The impact you’ll make
- Drive Investment:Move ideas to action by investing $20,000USD in the early-stage social venture you deem most impactful.
- Promote social innovation:Raise the profile of high-potential organizations on a global scale.
- Lead Engagement:Our generation’s entrepreneurial spirit and drive to make a difference will change the world. Lead your peers by making meaningful impact.
Model Foundation is Asia’s first and only “young people’s foundation,” designed for high-potential young leaders from around the world. Combining world class curricula with an experiential learning approach, Model Foundation empowers young people to take a strategic venture capital model to philanthropy by pitching China-based social ventures and deciding how to best allocate a real fund of 20,000 USD to impactful social ventures. Combining a due diligence framework evaluating innovative social organizations with a 5-day in-person training and international philanthropy conference, Model Foundation provides a unique opportunity to hone skills, connect with high-level mentors, and gain access to cutting-edge social enterprises and a network of global change makers.
How it works
1. Create or join a team: Inspire a group of friends to join you or apply as an individual and you’ll be matched with a team of other young leaders.
2. Develop skills:： Take an online course to build skills in human-centered design, social entrepreneurship, evaluation, due diligence, and more.
3. Match with an early-stage social venture: ： Nominate or select an innovative early-stage social organization in Greater China. Use PIM’s toolkit to create an investment pitch through site visits and interviews with organization leaders.
4. Build an international network: ： Join a 5-day international philanthropy conference, featuring guest speakers, workshops, and career exploration. Learn to communicate effectively and build common ground in a uniquely cross-cultural environment.
5. Make a difference:： Finalist teams, selected based on their investment pitch, will manage a fund of $20,000 USD and collectively decide on how to support the portfolio of social ventures.
6.Grow the movement:： Following the program, you continue to receive mentorship in addition to social impact career development opportunities through PIM. As a community, alumni spread the notion of effective philanthropy among their peers.
Mentors & Speakers
Vice Secretary General, One Foundation, Hubert H. Humphrey Fellow 2010
Founder, Alesca Life Technologies
Founder and CEO, M Restaurant Group
Founder, Chi Heng Foundation
Secretary General, Ginkgo Foundation
President, US-China Strong Foundation
Executive Director, Transist and Lead Manager of Shell Foundation - China Energy Incubator
Executive VP, China Poverty Alleviation Foundation
7Countries and Regions
Harvard University | Tsinghua University | Cornell University | Yale University | Peking University | Princeton University| New York University | Renmin University | Stanford University| University of California, Berkeley | University of Edinburgh (UK)| University of Hong Kong | Amherst College | Xiamen University | Yale- NUS | Fudan University | Zhejiang University | Australia National University
Participants will be selected through a competitive application process. Current university and graduate students as well as young professionals are encouraged to apply. Successful applicants demonstrate:
- Mission-oriented personal drive with a passion for social impact
- Business and social acumen, with interest or skill in designing an investment pitch, conducting evaluation, and making strategic decisions
- Proficiency in English and Mandarin Chinese
Online Course & Investment Pitch Design:
June 16 - August 8 (20-30 hours; completed remotely
International Social Innovation & Philanthropy Conference：
August 9 - 13
Yale Center Beijing
Registration & Fees
How to Register
can the QR code below or click hereto register. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until April 30.
Individuals: 650 USD
Teams (2-4 people): 585 USD per person (10% discount)
Please visit www.pimchina.org/aid for a listing of scholarships and fellowships.
About Philanthropy in Motion
Philanthropy in Motion (PIM) is an internationally-recognized social enterprise that empowers millennials with the funding, training, and networks to become mission-driven leaders and amplify their social impact. We guide individuals through a comprehensive process of identifying their missions, investigating social issues, and leveraging collective resources to advance social innovation in Greater China. Combining world class curricula with an experiential learning approach, our education programs have empowered hundreds of young people to take a strategic, venture capital model to philanthropy, deciding how to best allocate funding and resources to impactful social ventures. Our clients and partners range from the likes of World Bank to Peking University, and we have been recognized by Forbes, the Economist, and other news media for our work in the social impact space.
Wechat Official Account：pimchina
Renren Official Account：PIMChina